CONTEMPORARY HISTORYAcademic Year 2020/2021 - 2° Year - Curriculum Storico-artistico
Credit Value: 6
Scientific field: M-STO/04 - Contemporary history
Teaching Mode: Traditional lectures
Taught classes: 36 hours
Term / Semester: 1°
OPEN IN PDF FORMAT
The aim of the course is to offer an in-depth knowledge of the themes of the global history of the twentieth century and to provide critical tools for an autonomous reading of the historical roots of the present.
The course is divided into two parts. The first one aims at providing an in-depth basic knowledge, problematic and complex, of the history of the twentieth century, also considering the most updated intepretations offered by historiography. The second one will provide the opportunity to explore some topics by reading specific texts.
Detailed Course Content
World War I; Russian Revolution; Europe between democracy and authoritarianisms; Soviet Communism; Fascism and Nazism; United States and the New Deal; Economy and Society during interwar period; the decline of Colonialism; World War II; Cold War; Decolonization; the Middle East; the Western world; the Communist world; crisis and recovery of the Western world; the fall of the Communist world; the Global era.
A The twentieth century: history and interpretations (5 CFU)
- A.M. Banti, L’Età contemporanea: dalla Grande guerra ad oggi. Roma-Bari, Laterza, 2009, 473 pp.
- A.M. Banti, Le questioni dell’età contemporanea, Roma-Bari Laterza, 2010, 220 pp.
B Widening (1 CFU)
It’s required a critical reading about one of the following books:
- T. Detti, G. Gozzini, L’età del disordine. Storia del mondo attuale 1968-2017, Bari-Roma, Laterza, 2018, 198 pp.
- M. Del Pero, La Guerra Fredda, Roma, Carocci, 2001, 128 pp.
- L. Rapone, Storia dell'integrazione europea, Roma, Carocci, 2015, 220 pp.
- R. Betts, La decolonizzazione, Bologna, Il Mulino, 2003, 159 pp.
- C. Vercelli, Storia del conflitto israelo palestinese, Roma-Bari, Laterza, 2010, 212 pp.
Please remember that in compliance with art 171 L22.04.1941, n. 633 and its amendments, it is illegal to copy entire books or journals, only 15% of their content can be copied.
For further information on sanctions and regulations concerning photocopying please refer to the regulations on copyright (Linee Guida sulla Gestione dei Diritti d’Autore) provided by AIDRO - Associazione Italiana per i Diritti di Riproduzione delle opere dell’ingegno (the Italian Association on Copyright).
All the books listed in the programs can be consulted in the Library.